The first known Jeanne d’Arc monument raised in Jeanne’s memory, was erected in Orléans 1456
On July 2nd the Pontifical Delegates met and appointed the following Wednesday, July 7th, for the pronouncement of the final Sentence; and on that day, at 8 a.m., the Court assembled in the Hall of the Archiepiscopal Palace, and the formal Sentence of Rehabilitation was solemnly read by the Archbishop of Reims.
This was followed by a procession and sermon on the same day in the Place St. Ouen, and by a second sermon on the day following in the Old Market Place, where a Cross to perpetuate the memory of the was then erected, “for the salvation of her soul.”
Charles VII was represented kneeling, turned toward Jeanne d’Arc at the foot of the crucifix and the Virgin, in this first monument raised in Jeanne’s memory, on the bridge at Orléans at the end of the Fifteenth Century. This Cross remained until the end of the following century, when it was replaced by a fountain, with a statue of the Maid under an arcade surmounted by a Cross; the fountain now standing was erected in 1756.
From the Introductory Notes To The Nullification Trial
Monumental sculpture of Jeanne d’Arc. Mehun-sur-Yèvre. France. The iron and bronze statue stood in the Place du Château at Mehun-sur-Yèvre. Mehun-sur-Yèvre is a small town in central France through which Jeanne d’Arc passed in late October of 1429, where she stayed with the king’s surgeon, Renaud Thierry. There she participated in King Charles VII’s council and on December 29, 1429 he provided her with letters of nobility. In the Spring of 1430 Jeanne left Mehun-sur-Yèvre to pursue other battles.
Painting, by the French artist Adolphe Demange, show the Duchesse d’Uzès working on a monumental sculpture of Jeanne d’Arc.
|1852||François Rude||Paris, Jardin du Luxembourg||Standing figure.|
|1855||Denis Foyatier, with bas relief pedestal by Vital Dubray||Orléans, place du Martroi||Bronze equestrian statue.|
|1874||Emmanuel Frémiet||Philadelphia, Fairmount Park||Equestrian statue. Made from a plaster mold commissioned in 1874 by Napoleon III and originally located in Paris; a copy of the Paris statue was
commissioned by Philadelphia, but Frémiet sent the original, as he had
replaced the Paris statue with a revised one.
|1882||Frederic Leroux||Compiègne, France|
|1889||Paul DuBois||Rheims, France||Equestrian statue.|
|1891||Marius Mercié||Domrémy-la-Pucelle, France|
|1892||Louis-Ernest Barrias||Bonsecours, France||Standing figure in white marble and gold leaf. In 1990 the original
was moved to the church basilica and its gold leaf was removed. A copy
in gold leaf now occupies the site where the original once stood.
|1895||Paul DuBois||Paris, Place St. Augustin||Equestrian Statue located in front of the Eglise St. Augustin.
Copies were placed in other cities in France, such as Rheims and
|1899||Emmanuel Frémiet||Paris, Place des Pyramides||Equestrian statue. Originally commissioned in 1874 by Napoleon III; this is a revised version of the statue Frémiet made at that time.|
|1900||Prosper d'Épinay||Rheims, France||Standing figure. Donated to Rheims cathedral in 1909.|
|1907||Emmanuel Frémiet||State Library of Victoria, Australia||Equestrian statue, replica of the Emmanuel Frémiet statue in Paris.|
|1915||Anna Hyatt Huntington||New York City, Riverside Park at 93rd Street||Equestrian statue. This was the first public statue in the city to
be dedicated to a woman (as opposed to idealized concepts such as
Liberty and Victory). Information from the New York Public Art
Curriculum site:. A replica of this statue can also be found in Gloucester, Massachusetts. A reduced version is located at Longwood University in Farmville, Virginia.
|1915||Paul Manship||Smithsonian American Art Museum||Medal, showing an equestrian figure on the obverse and a figure at the stake on the reverse.|
|After 1921||Matane, Quebec, church of St. Joan of Arc||Standing figure.|
|1922||Paul DuBois||Washington, D.C., Meridian Hill Park||Bronze copy of the statue by DuBois at Rheims Cathedral.|
|1920||St. Louis Cathedral, New Orleans, Louisiana||Standing figure. It was donated to the Cathedral by "The Sodality of Saint Joan of Arc."|
|cast 1924||Emmanuel Frémiet||Portland, Oregon, Laurelhurst neighborhood||Equestrian statue. It was erected as a tribute to the fallen
soldiers of World War I and is a replica of the Frémiet statue at Place
des Pyramides in Paris.
|1947||Laval (Quebec)||Standing figure.|
|?||Lanson||Jargeau, Franceplace du Martroy||Standing figure|
|?||?||Notre-Dame de Montréal Basilica - Montreal, Quebec||Standing figure, to the left of the altar.|
|1972||Emmanuel Frémiet||Decatur Street, French Market - New Orleans, Louisiana||Equestrian statue. It was a gift from the People of France to the
City of New Orleans and is a replica of the Frémiet statue at Place des
Pyramides in Paris.
|?||?||Eglise St-Pierre - Mont-St-Michel - France||Standing figure, by the entrance to the church.|